Today the ideas of Justice and Equity find mention in many of legal systems across the world and in many cases they are also their foundational principles. In this world full of injustice and equity, these ideals are certainly desirable. Islam too lays great emphasis on Justice and Equity and this is reflected in several verses of the Holy Quran. Hopefully, these verses will clear the misconceptions of those who think that Islam is devoid of justice and equity.
- Al-Quran 4:40 Allah/God is never unjust in the least degree: If there is any good (done), He doubleth it, and giveth from His own presence a great reward.
- Al-Quran 3:108-109-These are God’s revelations; We recite them to you in all truth. God desires no injustice to humankind. His is all that the heavens and the earth contain. To God shall all things return.
- Al-Quran 4:48 Allah doth command you to render back your Trusts to those to whom they are due; And when ye judge between man and man, that ye judge with justice: Verily how excellent is the teaching which He giveth you! For Allah is He Who heareth and seeth all things.
- Al-Quran 4:49 Hast thou not turned Thy vision to those who claim sanctity for themselves? Nay-but Allah Doth sanctify whom He pleaseth. But never will they fail to receive justice in the least little thing.
- Al-Quran 6:151 …take not life, which Allah hath made sacred, except by way of justice and law: thus doth He command you, that ye may learn wisdom.
- Al-Quran 6:151 And come not nigh to the orphan’s property, except to improve it, until he attain the age of full strength; give measure and weight with (full) justice;– no burden do We place on any soul, but that which it can bear;- whenever ye speak, speak justly, even if a near relative is concerned; and fulfil the covenant of Allah: thus doth He command you, that ye may remember.
- Al-Quran And Allah will judge with (justice and) Truth: but those whom (men) invoke besides Him, will not (be in a position) to judge at all. Verily it is Allah (alone) Who hears and sees (all things).
- Al-Quran 16:90 Allah commands justice, the doing of good, and liberality to kith and kin, and He forbids all shameful deeds, and injustice and rebellion: He instructs you, that ye may receive admonition.
- Al-Quran 4:135 O you who have believed, be persistently standing firm in justice, witnesses for Allah, even if it be against yourselves or parents and relatives. Whether one is rich or poor, Allah is more worthy of both. So follow not personal inclination, lest you not be just. And if you distort [your testimony] or refuse [to give it], then indeed Allah is ever, with what you do, Acquainted.
- Al-Quran 4:168 Indeed, those who disbelieve and commit wrong or injustice – never will Allah forgive them, nor will He guide them to a path.
- Al-Quran 5.8- O ye who believe! stand out firmly for Allah, as witnesses to fair dealing, and let not the hatred of others to you make you swerve to wrong and depart from justice. Be just: that is next to piety: and fear Allah. For Allah is well-acquainted with all that ye do.
- Al Quran 5:42-They are fond of listening to falsehood, of devouring anything forbidden. If they do come to thee, either judge between them, or decline to interfere. If thou decline, they cannot hurt thee in the least. If thou judge, judge in equity between them. For Allah loveth those who judge in equity.
- Sahih al-Bukhari Volume 8, Book 81, Number 778: Narrated Aisha (r)-“Usama approached the Prophet on behalf of a woman (who had committed theft). The Prophet said, “The people before you were destroyed because they used to inflict the legal punishments on the poor and forgive the rich. By Him in Whose Hand my soul is! If Fatima (the daughter of the Prophet ) did that (i.e. stole), I would cut off her hand.”
- Sahih al-Bukhari, Vol. 9, Book 89, Hadith 272: Narrated `Abdur Rahman bin Abi Bakra: Abu Bakra wrote to his son who was in Sijistan: ‘Do not judge between two persons when you are angry, for I heard the Prophet (s) saying, “A judge should not judge between two persons while he is in an angry mood.“